Benevolence offers 'Understanding Islam' workshops for corporate, government, public, and the community.
Benevolence Australia provides Understanding Islam workshops for organisations as well as for the general public. The purpose of these sessions is multi-layered, but the primary focus is on breaking down barriers and challenging common stereotypes held about Muslims, as well as providing a stimulating educational experience to participants.
In a global climate that is becoming increasingly challenged by competing world views, reactionary politics and social tensions, it is the intention of Benevolence Australia to provide support, education and enlightenment to enhance understandings around Islam and Muslims. It is in this light that our outreach programs aim to engender a deeper level of understanding and a source of harmony, inclusion and social cohesion.
These interactive seminars begin the process of demystifying Islam and delve into concepts such as who are Muslims and what do they really believe? We aim to bridge the "us" and "them" divide by facilitating participation and discussion in a friendly, open, relaxed discussion where no question is off limits. Sessions offer a chance to meet practicing Muslims and hear how the Islamic tradition understands itself based on first hand experience of what it is to be an Australian Muslim.
An Australian Context
We explore a number of interesting facts and relevant information, such as the size of the Australian and global Muslim populations, the demographics that make up the Muslim community, what different forms of Islam are practiced in Australia, different cultural interpretations and ideological forms of Islam, and other issues from both the perspective of Muslims and the wider community in an Australian context.
We provide a range of programs for professional development, including:
- Understanding Islam - Q&A (multiple formats - panel, one-to-one interview style, or one to many lecture style)
- Diversity training for corporate, public and private sector industries
- Becoming Culturally Competent - Understanding Islam
- Transformational Leadership in Troubled Times - Inclusion and Social Cohesion in the work place
- Community forums for dialogue and discussion
- Public speaking/key note speakers
- Cultural training and facilitation programs
- Inclusion and Diversity seminars.
Important topics and questions are addressed, such as:
- How does Islam view Judaism and Christianity, and what is the relationship between these three Abrahamic religions?
- Who was Prophet Mohammed, and what do we know about his life as a man living in 7th century Arabia?
- What are the fundamental practices of Muslims, and what gives their lives purpose?
- Does Islam condone violence and terrorism? What is jihad? Who is ISIS?
- What are the daily challenges for a Muslim woman wearing hijab in Australia?
- Can Islam actually be practiced in Australia in today's current climate?
- What is Shariah, and do Muslims really want to implement Shariah law?
Mosque / Museum Tour
Participants can partake in an excursion to a mosque and/or the Islamic Museum of Australia. The mosque tour allows for experiencing what a mosque is like, understanding what features a mosque normally has, and the function that the mosque plays in the life of a Muslim. The Islamic Museum of Australia provides a unique insight into Islamic history, philosophy, culture and art, including Islamic innovations in science, engineering, and mathematics.
All our facilitators are experienced trainers and active members of the Muslim community in Australia and many have qualifications in the Australian Education System. Our facilitators deal with complex and difficult questions in a clear and straight forward manner, and we tailor the content to the needs and interest of the audience.