At Benevolence, we consciously take a different approach to weekend Islamic schools.
BeneKids is a Saturday Islamic school established to provide a place for young Muslims to learn about their faith and Muslim identity in a caring, fun and interactive environment.
We at BeneKids believe that the early impressions children have of Islam is crucial in forming their faith foundation. To foster the spirit of critical engagement with their faith, questioning by the children is actively encouraged so they can come to a realisation of Islam's wisdom themselves.
The overarching message is Love for Allah and His prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).
Our program reflects this with fun activities implemented with love and a focus on being a good citizen, making good friends, seeing faith and its traditions as relevant and important for today, and enjoying being Muslim.
We have separate Islamiyat programs for:
- Preschool: 0-5 years
- Primary school (classes Prep - Grade 1, Grades 2 - 3, and Grades 4 - 6)
- Teens (Years 7 - 8, and Years 9 - 10)
We are committed to having a low teacher-student ratio in the interests of good connections between students and teachers.
The syllabus for all ages covers:
- Arabic for the purpose of reading Qur'an
- Seerah (life of the Prophet, peace be upon him)
- Great people of the Qur'an
- Akhlaq (having good character)
- Fiqh (Islamic law)
- 'Aqeedah (belief)
All of these topics are taught in age-appropriate and engaging ways, with an emphasis on their relevance to the students' lives in a modern, Australian context.
Our Arabic program runs the tajwid lessons according to ability, not age, in small groups with their own qualified teacher. Each child progresses at their own pace, starting from learning the alphabet to reading fluently with correct tajwid. There is also an additional hifdh program run by a hafidh for a small group of students selected by Bene Kids teachers. There are no gradings or exams, however, there is an expectation that parents will work consistently with children at home on their Arabic and tajwid.
The preschool is run with a similar structure to a standard kindergarten program with games, crafts, stories and songs, all with an Islamic ethos. Parents and carers of children in the preschool class are required to stay for the duration of the lesson and participate in the class along with their child/children.
- BeneKids lessons for preschool to Grade 6 run from 10am - 12pm each Saturday morning of the school term, and are held in Doncaster.
- The Teens classes run from 9:45am - 12:15pm.
Session includes snack time and play time.
Term fees are $150 per child per term for madrassah, and $100 per term for playgroup. A discounted rate is available for families on a healthcare card, and for families with multiple children enrolled.
Please speak with staff if you qualify for a discount.
Participation at Benevolence is strictly by prior approval, which will be established via invitation to an interview, and places are limited.
- BeneKids warmly welcomes children with special needs to attend our madrassah, and will work with families and the children to ensure we tailor our teaching to suit the child.
- BeneKids requires parents to commit to reinforcing concepts taught at madrassah, and to work with their children on their Arabic for ten-fifteen minutes each day. We also require parents to commit to punctuality both for drop-off and pick up.
Please note that there is currently a long waiting list for BeneKids, with some classes having a wait time of up to two years; we request parents please keep this in mind.